Saturday, November 26, 2005

I've now learned that I know nothing

The semester is over in two weeks pretty much, which among many other things (struggling to complete my bibliographic essay for example. I'll be talking to you, Dr. Rogers), means that next semserter we'll be much more left to our own acquired knowledge to continue our tutoring. I suppose the biggest thing I have learned this semester is that, though I started this semester feeling pretty confident in my writing and tutoring skills, I have now decided that I know close to nothing of any real consequence. Certainly, I knew much less to begin the semester.

Having said that, however, I must say that I'm discovering some important things that I think will prove very valuable in my future as a tutor. One thing I've learned is that when a tutor and writer can work together on a paper it provides a much better environment for learning. I've had some sessions in which, try as I might, the student simply wouldn't be an active participant in the process. The student continued to question his/her abilities, took my advice far too literally and too easily, and waited for me to suggest where we should proceed rather than taking the helm himself/ herself. Beyond it being so much more effective when writers will work with their tutors, it also makes things so much more enjoyable for both parties involved.

I've also realized the importance of grammar. All my life I've been taught that a noun is a person place or thing but I've never understood why that matters. And I suppose I'm still not perfectly clear on that point, but at least I understand--through our great discussions on the controversies of grammar flunctuations--that grammar is important so everyone can understand each other. I guess one of the biggest dangers of the growing popularity of text messaging and other types of short hand writing is that it leaves many people out of the loop. It seems to me that language is at least as important for cultural identification as a nations flag, native foods, and local customs, but yet I can see a division that is growing ever wider. At least now I won't be taken by total surprize when people start printing on our currency 'N Gd We Trst!

And I suppose my favoritre thing I've discovered through this tutoring experience, is the real joy I've felt when I've helped students realize that they really are good writers. There is so much in society to remind people of what they are not--idolizing Hollywood stars, basketball players for role models, etc.--;it's so nice to be able to tell people what they are doing well.

Coupled with this positive thought is the discovery of all of you. I definitely second what so many of you have commented on in your own blogs of reflection: it has been so nice to have so much support from all the writing tutors, Claire, and Dr. Rogers. When I started this semester, and especially when starting this tutoring thing, I was so afraid of being grossly underqualified. I've realized that qualifications are great, but more important than these is a open mind and an arsenal of brilliant tutors at my back. I so appreciate all the help you've given me, though my personal skill might have been limited.

My hope is--not to be overly sentimental or anything--that we will still support each other in the wonderful way that we have thus far, despite this class ending. I guess that would be my advice for future generations of tutors: enjoy the learning process, and when the time comes to prove their merit by leaving the English 3840 class they will maintain a close relationship with all the tutors. It has certainly been valuable for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home