Friday, November 25, 2005

Gnivigsknaht

I know this may be pushing the limits of the use of this blog, but I'm full of holiday thoughts that I must relieve myself of.

There is a reason we love our families. I don't believe it is merely from growing up together or sharing the same blood (although I think the blood idea has a good arguement). We must love each other for survival. Holiday traditions are designed to allow families to develop survival tactics to use "against" the rest of the world, or everybody else. Not that it is always "us" against "them" but it is when we feel threatened enough to defend our famly name.

Thanksgiving is one of those holidays. The tradition, although not the same for everyone, is generally spent with those we sometimes haven't seen since last Thanksgiving, for several years, or yesterday. And I for one am glad to have spent enough time away from my family that it's really nice to get together. I couldn't be around them for very long but a holiday and a few other days will maintain the ralationships and keep me in check with myself and my needs. Isn't that funny that absence really does make the heart grow fonder? But it causes us to forget things that only reveal themselves after several hours, and to obtain some things that were missing untill we surround ourselves with relatives (but they have to be our own).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home