Thursday, September 15, 2005

A memorable classroom experience

When I was young, my mom read to me all the time and always encouraged me to read on my own. I have enjoyed reading ever since. In high school, I learned some of the basics about writing from my English teachers. But until I went to college, I think that I learned more about writing from reading good books than I did from any teacher. (Maybe that’s why I was such a bad writer!?)

I can remember the class I was in and the paper I was writing when I first realized what a terrible writer I was. I was finishing my generals and had room to take a few extra classes. I signed up for Dr. Elsley’s English 3280 Biographical Writing course. It was intimidating—my first upper division English class. I almost dropped out after the first week, but Dr. Elsley was so nice and kind and encouraging that I stayed. (Maybe that’s a good way to tutor as well?)

My writing was awful, but I experienced for the first time what Murray called self-discovery. (Yeah, I know how it sounds!!) That was probably the first time I really cared about what I was writing. I finally had something to say and I found a bit of my own truth as I struggled to say it. That class changed a lot about the way I think and write and read.

Dr. Elsley taught her class in a way that promoted the learning PROCESS. She used many of the principles that Murray mentions in his article. She was quiet, she listened, she waited, she responded, she showed respect, she cared. She helped her students find their own voice as writers, and helped them do it better than they did before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home