Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Know Thyself

Holy, rusted metal Batman! Earlier today I tutored one woman whose breath was so bad, it smelled like peaches that had bred with a rotting corpse. It was a horrible mutation of bad peach breath. It was suggested to me to offer a mint and if it is not accepted to hold the mint as if ammonium carbonate, or smelling salt.

OH FYI this post is in random order only.

I was always told in order for one to write one needs to have a systematic, structured approach. There must be an introduction, the body of your text, and a conclusion. Basically your five paragraph essay. In my creative writing class, however, we were allowed to write whatever, however we wanted and I realized for me to write well, I need to write what I know. That pretty much goes for everybody because you can't successfully write on something you know nothing about. Obstacles I see in the students coming in are that they want to use big words to sound professional. While focusing on the words, the text loses all meaning--if there's any to be found.

The obstacles I am trying overcome are all the reading that is required and the many papers that are due--tomorrow! Yup, everywhere I go there's a chapter needs readin' or an assignment needs handin'in. If I could only get ahead. I will, I must.

Some of us were still a little confused as to how the responses work for this class. Of course, not me, though.

I sat watching a seasoned tutor help a young man with his essay. I heard her ask really good question and said I was going to steal it. The next day in class and Scott reminded everyone about the observations that are due I smacked myself in the head because I didn’t write down the question. Stupid, stupis! Stupid, stupis!

He was able to connect with the tutor. The tutee felt he was really concentrated on the paper. Here this is your pencil and if you find anything that you want to change during the session feel free to and if there’s anything I see that I want to change I’ll do it.
I feel with each tutoring session I get a better handle on it, but when another ESL comes I know I’m going to take a beating in confidence. My first people I tutored were ESL, so that kinda made me leery of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home