Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Walk-Ins Welcome

I honestly don't think my approach to tutoring would change if all of my sessions were set by appointment. I also think that not having set appointments is good for staff morale. What if all the people wanted a particular tutor? It would make those that would be left out (most likely me) just that-- left out.

Honestly, I believe that most of the students that come in, come in on a whim. I doubt that many people, unless they are required to come here, plan a time to be tutored. I can imagine students working at computer labs, being stuck on a writing assignment, and in a moment of desperation, deciding to see a tutor. Also, this is a haven for procrastinators. "My paper is due tomorrow," or "my paper is due in an hour, can you help me?" This just doesn't seem like the type of place to me that people plan their days around.

That's not to say that they can't be helped. Much like barber shops, which are usually (if not always walk-in establishments), we can be helpful. 'Walk-in' doesn't make us 'unwanted'. The few. The proud.....oh wait, that's the Marines. Most people, I think, leave our little cubby hole feeling like they were served well. I'm starting to think we should get tips for good service.

Anyway, if it weren't for walk-ins, we wouldn't have anything to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home