Monday, November 08, 2004

Smarter?

This is going to sound egotistical, but bear with me. I haven't tutored someone that I thought was smarter than me. That's not to say that there aren't people out there that are smarter than me, but I can't imagine someone smarter than me needing help with a paper.

Okay, that sounded egotistical. Maybe it was. But that's how I feel and last time I checked I lived in America so I can say what I want. Although, there is the idea out there that the 1st Amendment only applies to those who want to abuse the right like people that want to burn the American flag and idiots that want to walk around naked in Times Square. Also, there's the fact that I'm a white, male Republican, so the 1st Amendment doesn't really apply to me because all people like me want to do is oppress people that are different.

So now that we've established the fact that the 1st Amendment doesn't apply to me, do I have to retract what I said about there not being people smarter than me that need help on a paper? Have I confused you yet?

Anyway, let me discuss a hypothetical situation where someone that is smarter than me comes into the writing center needing help with a paper. In that situation, I would imagine that they are just looking for a second opinion; for a second pair of eyes to spot any mistake, however minute. I would do this for them...maybe an extra comma, maybe a comma splice, maybe a misuse of hypothetical situations linked improperly by commas, as was just demonstrated.

What I'm trying to say (is this five hundred words yet?) is that the world is a confusing place and the only way to get through the confusion is by purposely being confusing. You see, this acts as a negative number on both sides of an equal sign- it crosses out the other. The only way to go through life is to see nothing as certain; everything as uncertain. This makes it so you don't have to have a stance on any certain subject, which allows you 'wiggle room' when someone corners you for an opinion.

As John Lennon once said: "I don't believe in Beatles. I only believe in me." Also, you could say that Ferris Bueller said that John Lennon said this, but to avoid confusion by creating confusion I added this confusing sidebar. Thank you for your time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home