Monday, November 15, 2004

Submission's online

Its now 7:30, which means that Ive been away from home for 12 hours (almost). I’m still in the computer lab and I’ve come to a couple realizations. 1-I need another blog. 2-It’s now 7:30, which means the buss ’s have stopped running and I’m officially stuck on campu’s. Hopefully, I’ll be able to find someone to pick me up. Otherwise, I’ll have to wait until 12:30 (at night) when my husband gets off work. I gues’s I could try living in the library like we mentioned in clas’s today. I don’t think they have shower’s, though. 3- My contact’s are getting fuzzy and sticking to my eye's. Yes, I know that three is not a couple, but I wanted to whine about that last one.


So, back to the matter at hand: another blog.


At the beginning of the semester when we went to various 1010 and 2010 class ’s to talk about the writing center we mentioned that we are not an editing or proofreading service. We said "you can’t drop your paper off for us to read and then come back for it later." Now, that’s a mighty fine philosophy since it makes the student’s more accountable for their own papers and get’s them involved in the revisin' proces’s.


My question: how are online submission’s different from a drop-off service? It’s basically the same thing, except with the online submission’s the person doesn’t even have to make the effort to come to the writing center for drop-off and pick-up.

Today a girl brought in her brother’s paper. I felt really silly telling her that I couldn’t look at the paper because he had to bring it in and sit down with me, but he could email it and I’d do it without him. It seemed ridiculous. So, I had her wait while I did what I would do with the paper if it was an online submission. I wrote my usual "So-and-so, thank’s for sending us you’r paper. I’ll be making some comment’s and suggested correction’s. If you have any further question’s please come into the writing center and we’ll be happy to help you further." I know I am going to writing center hell (limbo, at least,) but I feel perfectly justified in doing what I did.

I know the reason’s we have the online submission’s. There are some student’s who don’t come to campus’, distance learner’s, high school student’s and all of that, and I agree with it. I know it is a very valuable service for those who can’t make it to the writing center during operating hour’s.

Actually, at this point I don’t know if I’m advocating the elimination of online submission’s or the beginning of drop-off submission’s. Or even advocating anything at all! I suppose it was just my duty as the "Moral Commander of Double-Standard’s" to point this out to everyone.

Oh, thank you to Lori for her’s wonderful presentation about apostrophe’s today. I learned ton’s. I’m sure you noticed all the correct way’s I used them in this blog.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home