Sunday, December 01, 2013

Yoo-Hoo, New Tutors, Come Hither


Hello, Blog!

This is the last blog of the year; hence, this blog is about what I have learned and want to pass on to next year’s tutors.

As an incoming tutor, know your stuff (or be willing to put in the time to learn your stuff). One of the most important things that I have learned this year is how to be a better student using the tools that I have been given in the Writing Center. I have learned so much about writing mechanics, writing formats and styles, balancing the assignment parameters and the professor’s wishes, and how to critically review my own work. Be prepared to study hard and take correction as it comes.  Know that professors give assignments for a reason and complaining about the assignment or the professor will not solve your problems. With this in mind, help other students to recognize this as well. Have a strong resolution to do your professional and scholarly work to the best of your ability and learn to be thankful that you have the opportunity to get an education and a degree.

                Another thing that I have learned is how to be a better communicator in the workplace. If you want to succeed in the Writing Center, know that communication is key to everything you do. Between Claire, the office assistants, other tutors, and students, it is very helpful to let others know what you are doing and why you are doing it (in the appropriate context). Be a team player and learn how to work well with the team that you have using the strengths of each person to complement the other members of the team. This group is truly remarkable.

                Lastly, learn how to be sociable, personable, and clear in your speech and learn how to use those skills effectively according to your personality and your interests. I am not a very talkative person, but I really enjoy spending my time with people and being a helpful friend even if I do not know the person. Use your personality to your advantage. If face-to-face is your strength, use it. If OWLs are your strength, do them. Find what best suits you and do it to the best of your abilities. In all this, be prepared to learn about yourself and introspect. For me, all I want to do is help where I am needed, and I think that working here has helped me to recognize that in myself. When you work with each individual student one-on-one, know that it is an exchange of information as well as an exchange of self. If they are willing to give up a little bit of themselves, you also must give them something in return. Knowledge is great, but being their peer and friend is better.

                For me, working at the Writing Center is a joy because I get to meet new people every day and share in a small piece of their college success and learning process. When you help others learn, many times you learn new things yourself, including grammar rules that you never knew existed. Be determined and polite. Communicate above and beyond what you normally do so that your team is solid as a rock. Best of all, be willing to learn about others and yourself. Do this (and more), and you will go far!

Good Luck and Break a Leg!

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home