Friday, September 21, 2012

Expectations

So far, student expectations of the writing center have aligned very accurately with my own. If the student's expectations differ from mine, it is usually a difference of vocabulary. Whereas I do not describe what I and my fellow tutors do in the writing center as "proofreading" or "going over papers," many students use this sort of terminology. I do not think this is much of a problem, because, underneath the surface terminology, the student generally has similar expectations.

Where I think student expectations truly diverge from those of tutors is in regard to the longevity of the skills taught. Whereas students generally just want their paper improved, tutors seek to improve the students' writing. Although there is this difference in objective, I do not think it causes much of a problem, because the means to accomplish these two different goals are essentially the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home