Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Ten Years of Blog Posts

As I survey the blog posts, I can see many themes that were touched upon in the past by former and current writing tutors. Some of the writing tutors expressed their fears of being able to properly explain grammar. This is quite reasonable since grammar is a very tough subject to explain, and to articulate it well is a challenging endeavour. During my time at Weber State University , I've only met one Professor that was able to verbally explore the vague ever changing concept of grammar adequately. That Professor just happens to be Dr. Mckay who specializes in linguistics. I think it might be time to visit her office with a notepad and paper.

Another theme for discussion that appeared during my time reading endless blog posts from writing tutors was issue of "most difficult subjects". Some tutors expressed that they loathed helping tutees with composing science papers because, often times, they didn't know what the heck the tutees were talking about. I can relate to this scenario a lot. The last time I had to read a science paper my brain almost melted like Velveeta cheese in a microwave oven trying comprehend some algorithmic procedure for making light particles dance on the top of some golden tinfoil.

Yet Another theme that I could discuss here is "Turkey Day". I guess Americans are not so different from other people living in various areas of the world celebrating a feast in commemoration of some fallen hero or new moon. It's just, we celebrate this particular feast to remember a gathering that supposedly happened between the first Pilgrims and the Native Indians. To add insult to injury, what differentiates us from the - at least in this case - more civilized cultures of the world is that fact that nobody gives a rip about some long lost gathering between the Indians and the Pilgrims. Although this holiday is meant to celebrate brotherly love and crossing cultural divides, it is now used as a marketing tool to make money for the NFL.

Excuse me if I sound a bit bitter about the failure of or country to stay connected to its roots, but that's why we have this blog; we can all share our unique perspectives about certain issues and read and learn from each other.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Slap Happy Octopus said...

I hate to shake up the point of your last paragraph, but "Thanksgiving" wasn't so much a gathering between pilgrims and Indians as much as it was ignorant colonial twits forcing themselves into the Iroquois' Green Corn festival and then bastardized it before murdering and displacing the people that it belonged to. America's "roots" are genocide and shattered agreements.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home