Monday, September 07, 2009

On Contingency Plans

You know, when I "applied" for the tutoring position (I use the phrase in the loosest possible sense, as the entire ordeal was little more than happy coincidence,) I was unaware that I was signing up for work in the public relations department. That's cool, though. I'm up for something new.

Really, I hadn't considered how much muckety-muck might arise from things like manners and hurt feelings. It hadn't occurred to me - for whatever reason - that I might get a paper riddled with offensive half-truths, something so delicate as to force me to step lightly. I'm a systematic individual and somehow presumed there would be a fail-proof formula to follow when tutoring, a scientific method for aspiring writers. What would make me think such a thing is anyone's guess.

I don't particularly fear the really terrible essays. I think I can find a friendly way to say hey, great draft, why don't we take this, this and this and start working on construction? "Great draft" seems to be the key phrase to avoid offense and keep the session flowing. I think I can handle convoluted organization, clashing ideas, unclear introductions and, yes, even grievous grammatical error without too much concern; it's the threat of the offensive that worries me.

I'm not sure there's any graceful way to point out a student has presented me something dripping with overt racism. I'm not sure how to sidle off to one side and inform Claire hey, I think we might have ongoing sexual abuse. I know these instances will probably prove themselves rare, if I see them at all, but the point having been raised, I feel it's a legitimate concern. I'm glad we went over it in class, even if I have yet to see a case-by-case procedural guide laid in front of me. (Hint hint.) I suppose it's the sort of unusual event you're best off handling one at a time, and I'm sure experience will impart valuable insight at.. some point or another, but for now, it does intimidate me.

I'm also glad old professors were brought up. Now I will actively remind myself not to run my mouth. Learning to shut my trap: check.

I think I can manage. I'm a little nervous, of course, but it helps to remind myself that I am not a brain surgeon and no one ever died from an offensive essay.* If I screw up, it's okay. It happens. It's to be avoided, but it happens.

*Note: Does not include Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home