Saturday, September 12, 2009

I like cheese!

What would I do if I had a student come to me with a paper that did not have too much wrong with it? Could I tell them it is really good and tell them to leave cause there is not a thing I could do to their paper? Just kidding. Well, I do not really know exactly what I would do seeing as it has never happened to me before. Every paper I have looked at so far has at least had grammatical errors. So I can only offer speculations on what I would do with that student and their paper.

The first thing I would do if I received a grand paper that was close to perfection, is give the writer jubilant congratulations on a job well done, and then maybe politely ask them what they are doing there as their paper is already A material. Then I would laugh at my own joke and do my best to help them make such a grand paper even grander. Once all of the mechanic problems, if any, were taken care of I would move into the more dark and scary part of research papers, the thesis. I would ask the student what their paper was about to check if it matched with my understanding of the paper. If there were any discrepancies I would then proceed to work on the thesis and support to get the paper to the point where it exactly matched the students ideas, in their own words of course. Once finished with that I would on the structure and organization of ideas to get everything ship shape. If I could not find anything else I would ask the student if they had any thoughts or concerns with the paper, and go through them if there where any. The last thing I would do is ask the student what professors they had had and who taught them how to write, because I would like to learn to write like that.

I am not going to lie, I am having to come up with a lot of bull to get to five hundred words for this topic. Here is some more. I am trying to think what it would be like if someone actually came in with an absolutely perfect paper. While this is an entirely hypothetical situation and I understand a perfect paper is based on opinion we will pretend, for the sake of the situation, that the paper is perfect in every way. I would probably read through it again to try to catch anything I missed on the first run through. If nothing was found I would talk to the student about the thesis and support to make sure I completely understood the paper and that there was no problem of clarity. If nothing again I would grab another tutor and have them read the paper. And when the expert tutor could not find anything wrong I would send the student, while quietly referring to the student as an English wizard who will one day conquer the entire language if not the world, packing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home