Sunday, September 13, 2009

Aw, I'm honored. And I'm late again

I really appreciate that these are read and considered :) that means a lot. Ha, well I guess I'll just have to expand on what I have previously written about.

One troublesome trait of the bad paper is the tediousness (word?) of its grammar issues. It is very difficult to read aloud and not be stopped every couple of words to correct a tense issue, a funky sentence, or a screaming spelling/grammar issue. Usually, I am thinking to myself: "How am I ever going to get to the end of this thing? I know I have big-picture tips to talk about." But it is SO DIFFICULT to keep going smoothly on their bumpy ride of a paper.
While reading, I am completely aware of the urgency in getting to the end of the paper before the time is up, but I feel so guilty skimming over errors. I feel like reading over them means I'm saying, "Yup, this sentence is correct and perfect, that's why we're not stopping to talk about it." Actually, I had someone misinterpret this once already. We were reading through a seven page narrative just soaked in grammar issues. I began the session moving much too slowly, explaining some grammar problems, figuring pointing them out early would help him catch the same issues by himself while we were reading. And it worked, he noticed every...single...one. So, while I was trying to get to the end of this thing, he kept stopping me, "Isn't that not right?" "Shouldn't this be this?" And he was absolutely right...and we stopped, and I congratulated him.
But I felt like I still had so much to say about the paper itself, and fixing these grammar issues got us nowhere if he was just going to be cutting huge sections or rewriting some in the end.
It wasn't a horrible paper. I think some of you had a chance to hear me read it aloud and it was actually very very descriptive, he had a talented way with words. The paper just needed some better direction and definitely needed some editing.
Friday's advice helped. I think personally asking, "What is your point?" and "Do you feel this paper clearly reflects this point?" would have helped me SO MUCH.
Practice. Practice. Practice.
Who helps who? You can't really say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home