Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Memory...all alone in the moonlight...my attempts at a slacker prompt

Slacker prompt…hmm…slacker prompt…hmm… I could probably go five hundred words doing just that, couldn’t I? Actually, I guess I’ll take this time and space to reflect on my experience in college and with tutoring in the writing center so far. This time last year I was busy filling out college applications and applying for scholarships. It’s so funny how long ago that seems now. I remember that I was planning on going to the U of U and that college seemed so far away to me at that time. Probably just like everyone as a senior in high school, I really didn’t think it would ever happen, that I would really graduate and actually have to go through the motions of starting at a (gasp) university. But I have and I did. And I pretty much love it.
I was so ready to graduate by about December of last year that the rest of the spring semester felt like a total waste. I focused on my academic classes mostly as well as applying and competing for scholarships, which eventually got me to where I am today. Now that I look back on it, those two things were really the only things that mattered within the confines of my incredibly busy high school experience, but at the time, like every confused teenager, my priorities were usually a little skewed. However, although I entered my university experience with, what I thought, was a taste for what college classes were going to be like, I realized that I had a good part of it wrong. For example, this bibliographic essay is something unlike anything I have ever done before. That is probably why its makeup seems to foreign to me as I write it and why I feel so unsure of what I’m doing…but hopefully it will start to feel better as I go. I always seem to feel that way at the start of every class I take, but what is so interesting about the college schedule is that we already completely switch classes when it comes to January. That will probably be an adjustment for me too.
Anyways, the writing center has been a really good experience for me, once again as it is completely different from anything other tutoring job I have had. It is very interesting when students come in toting their children with them, sit down, and ask me to help them with their paper for their medical class. The tutoring is not the same as the kind I did last year, mainly in the fact that I am not at least four years older than the people I am helping. In fact, I’m usually younger than my “tutees” or at the very best the same age. The Athletic Study Hall is a whole different matter where I feel completely swamped by the eighty big guys who are in there. However, that certainly requires more effort to keep them focused on my part, unlike tutoring in the writing center which is often used by students who genuinely want help and are not forced to be there (with the exception of the 1010 professors who require their students to get help). But, overall, I enjoy both jobs just as much as I enjoyed my very different tutoring experiences that I had last year.
Well, I’ll stop the nostalgic spill now, but it was a slacker prompt after all….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home