Friday, October 31, 2008

I am going to write my bibliographic essay about writer's groups and techniques for working with creative writers. I chose this topic because it is most relevant to what I want to do. After graduating from Weber State, I entend to pursue an MFA in Creative Writing. I hope to use this degree to teach creative writing at the university level. Creative Writing pedagogy is difficult because success is more elusive to define. Is success publication? Is success simply to become a better creative writer than one already is? What does "better" mean when it comes to creative writing, since, after all, there is no accounting for taste? Is it true that it is impossible to "teach" creative writing, that one must learn creative writing on one's own time and at best what can be taught is technique, craft, process? These are some of the topics I hope to explore in my essay. Currently, I am still in the digestive phase. I have yet to write a single word. I have a critical mass of source material and am currently going through all this with a highlighter, looking for themes, contradictions, opposing camps, reactions, chronology, etc. I'm not worrying about the writing yet. I'm worrying about how my sources interconnect, how they relate to one another, how they inform and argue with one another, etc. One last thing that has been on my mind currently. The MFA at the University of Michigan requires students to design a creative writing pedagogy. This is part of the coursework, which is rare though not unheard of for an MFA program to require. I wish I could get ahold of some of that, but I don't know how, since it is not published materials. Still, I think it would be interesting to look at.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home