Tuesday, November 13, 2007

thinking about how I think about problems that I don't want to think about

I guess I have a process for thinking about problems. I honestly do not write outlines, and I do not even write down ideas unless I have many varying ideas that I need to narrow down. In this case I write the ideas down and compare them all; I keep the ideas that seem to work together well, and I throw out the ones that I cannot make easy connections to. Usually, my process consists of thinking about all aspects of the idea that I can on my own. I take a lot of time just thinking about the topic; I do not write anything or keep a record of my thoughts because I want my writing to be fresh once I begin. I take time in the shower or while driving to dive into the subject, and then, I write. I write all of my thoughts down in the paper’s described format. Although, this is not near the end of my process, my paper is relatively complete with the introduction, body and conclusion.

Once it is written down, my ideas are easily accessible, and I am able to organize and expand on my ideas. Also, once I read over my paper, I usually realize more aspects about my topic that I can include. So, I really do not have specific questions I ask myself. I simply realize what the paper needs as I go through it. And, without questions to ask, I do not have questions that I avoid. I never thought about the oppositions to my ideas unless I am contrasting topics. For example, I would never ask myself what would change if I did not have (____) in my paper. I do realize the importance of this technique because it helps to give the writer a way to verbalize the topic’s importance. But, I usually do well by sticking to my tried and true techniques.

I believe by continually revising my paper, I push my thinking on the subject. Again, I realize different ideas that I can include and expand on as I read over my paper. And, by continually reading my paper, I can get a better sense of the organization I want. When I re-read my writing, I go through the thought process over and over again. This reinforces my train of thought, and it exposes areas that do not transition well. Transitions are usually very complicated for students-especially for beginning writers-because we do not have to verbalize our train of thought very often when we speak. We simply talk and jump from subject to subject and the counter partners in the conversation are able to keep up. In writing, however, there are many obstacles that are not present when speaking. Transitions, organization and the such become much more important because tone of voice is up to the reader. In this way I push myself to think of the different aspects of the topic readers would think of, and I also try to make my thought process accessible in order to successfully lead the reader to the conclusion of my work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home