Wednesday, November 24, 2004

A new me

Addressing changes in the writing center is hard for me, because I really like the way that the writing center currently is. I like the camaraderie that we all share, and I like working without someone always looking over my shoulder. I like that we do not have to report to anyone and that we are given such a large amount trust within our job. I like that we have the freedom to work with students as long as we feel we need to, I like the whole system.

It is obvious that where much is given much is required and that is where we seem to be falling short of excellence. We are lucky to have a job that is so laid back and social, and there is nothing wrong with that until we forget that we are working and not socializing. There is a problem with clients being passed off or socializing getting too loud and becoming unprofessional, however I do not think this is a fault of the system as much as the individual. We need to remember that the freedom that the writing center gives us comes with a responsibility to respect professional boundaries and not take advantage of that freedom in a way that will loose that freedom for us in the future. We have a responsibility not only to the client, but to each other, to our leaders, and to the University.

I feel very lucky to have such a great job; I want to try harder to show my gratitude through my integrity. I know that as I read my own writing I sound preachy and lame and I have much to improve on, but I do not know how to say it in a way that will not sound preachy and lame. It is simply true that when you do your best you feel your best and those around you see that and respect that.

I apologize to all those whose hard work in the writing center has been affected in a negative way do to my actions. I am recommitting right now to be better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home