Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Change at the WC...a necessary evil?

I need to preface this blog with the standard disclaimer: I love you all. Really. (See the teary eyes?) However, my suggestions for improvement at the writing center do not seem to reflect the enjoyment I feel for the company of my fellow tutors.

The best thing (logically speaking, not in relation to relationships, which I enjoy) we could do for the writing center would be to eliminate the possibility of off-duty tutors “hanging out” at the writing center. I hesitate to write this since I know certain individuals will give me a lot of flack about it; however, it would solve some major problems. First of all, there wouldn’t be the ever-present question of “who’s on the clock?” It would be apparent who was because they would be the only tutors in the room. Furthermore, we wouldn’t have the “sure I’ll help him—in ten minutes” because tutors wouldn’t be in the center until they were ready to work. Obviously, there is the question of the computer usage—shouldn’t off-duty tutors be allowed (in this hypothetical situation) be able to use the computers when they are “off the clock?” I would say not. The computers are supposed to be there for the average student to use. I’ve seen many students come in to use a computer, but tutors were using the computers at the time, so the students (clients?) leave for another computer lab.

At the beginning of the semester we talked about having name tags. We have not had them, but they could be beneficial. A student walking into the writing center shouldn’t have to wonder who (out of all the people in the writing center) are on-duty tutors.

Another picky suggestion: if we only had three tables (since there are three tutors on-duty at a time) it would make the room feel less crowded. Additionally, I would love to have a straight edged table rather than a circle table since invariably the client sits just far enough away I have to twist my neck into all sorts of shapes to read along with the client. It’s rather annoying. I don’t remember having the neck contortions when using a straight edged table at the writing center at USU. (Notice how I flaunted my experience there? I have to do it somewhere, just like the “veteran” tutors here…”Oh, them? They’re NEW tutors. I’m a veteran tutor.”)

So, at any rate, I’m glad we get a long weekend. Everybody be good. If you can’t be good, be safe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home