Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Copypasta.

I do not think that everything is either black or white, especially with this topic. The banking concept is bad, yes, but the problem-posing method has its own problems. In our class discussion, we easily got sidetracked. We started on Frerie’s ideas but soon started talking about welding. The discussion remained on welding for about five minutes. When I finally stated that “these distractions are the reason I do not agree with the problem-posing method,” we managed to get back on track. I believe that this is the perfect example of my problem with this method: people get distracted too easily. While I do not mind getting sidetracked in boring classes, I do like to stay on topic in classes that I find interesting. There is a very large change that at least someone in each class is bored with the material, and that person is willing and able to distract the conversation. This is where the grey area is involved. Since a group of people cannot seem to stay on track, even in a class like ours, I believe that there needs to be a mixture of both methods. The class should be arranged in the best way possible for a discussion, and they should proceed on into their discussion; however, the one difference is that there is a teacher present who keeps the class discussions on topic and offers small suggestions to a stumped class. This method would support the problem-posing model by having the discussions kept relevant to the class topic. It would also help reach a “goal” by the end of the semester, or it would help answer the question: what did I learn in this class? I believe that this would be a great model, and I believe our class follows this model, if only loosely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home