Thursday, October 08, 2009

JROG!

So in the interest of writing whatever I want, I have a question as to the specificity of the topic of this blog. Is it TRULY whatever I want or is it whatever I want to write about tutoring? As I am currently audience-less (until this blog has already been posted and you read it…in which case I’m already gone) I am assuming I won’t get an answer to those questions within the next thirty seconds, especially since I haven’t tuned my ESP for months.
Consequently, it is my intention to sit down and play video games for several hours…Just kidding. Since my Junior Recital is coming up next Tuesday and I can’t seem to think of anything else, I think I’ll ramble about that for a bit. I’d let you protest, but as I was saying earlier about this blog already being posted by the time you read it…
Anyway, as some of you may know, I am a Music minor. Apart from being crazy, I also play the viola. For those of you who are not familiar with the Music program, I will tell you what exactly a Junior Recital is. Basically it’s a requirement to fulfill my minor in which I have to play at least 30 minutes of “me” music. This means that I could play a couple movements of a Concerto, Sonata, a Suite (which is actually one thing that I’m doing…but I’ll get to that in a minute) or anything else that’s just me (or me being accompanied by a piano) for 30 straight minutes. Because my roommate loves me and also has to fulfill this requirement for her major, she will be joining me in a Junior Recital of Gloriousness.
In case any of you care, or are familiar with these composers, I’ll give you a general rundown of the program. First she will be playing a Bach fugue, followed by me playing a Bach Suite (six straight movements of Bach! Whoopee). Then she will be playing a movement, I can’t remember which one, of the Barber Violin Concerto. After that I will play the Rondeau from the Stamitz Concerto for Viola and Piano, then she will play two movements of a Prokofiev Sonata (so jealous that she gets to play Prokofiev, by the way. That man is one disturbed genius!), and I will play the first movement of the Fantasy Pieces by Mr. R. Schumann. Topping off this marvelous event will be a Duet by Mozart (K. 423, 1st movement).
These pieces will be followed by a general nervous breakdown, tears of relief, and a sad realization that we both have to go back to school the next morning. Hooray life!
Now I could tie the preparation, anger, and frustration involved in learning pieces for a recital (or even learning pieces in general) into the writing process quite easily. Both involve creativity and a constant effort, and, especially in my case, the final product still may not be exactly what you’re looking for. Also, playing comes as a talent, just as writing does. Some people know how to do it and some people do not, but that doesn’t mean that they can do it well or don’t have to work at it to make themselves and their efforts better. Hey look at all the parallels I’m linking! Perhaps this blog was about tutoring after all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home