Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The Best Day of 7th Grade

I remember vividly being taught the five-paragraph essay in 7th grade. It was the most amazing moment of my juinor-high career. I had finally found a "formula" for writing, something I loved to do. I latched onto this formula and have learned to expand it as I have grown in my academic career. However, that moment sticks with me as when I first learned to write for school. Thank you, Mrs. Mair.

By the time I learned this essay format, I had already written a "novel" and some short stories. However, they did not have real structure or reason behind their themes and organization. Learning how to use an introduction and a conclusion gave me a pattern to use and also a name for what I often already did.

I think writing did come naturally to me before then. I always enjoyed it and always did well in school. I also read a lot, which may have helped me to pick up subconsciously how writing is done. Once I knew that my natural instincts for organization were mostly correct, I felt vindicated and smart. I remember thinking how fascinating it was to watch Mrs. Mair use the overhead projector and colored markers to scribble on our essays and point out the high and low points. I remember being completely in love with that day of school. I felt that surely all of my classmates found the lesson as important and earth-shattering as did I.

However, I now know that this could not be true. Many of the students in my class that day barely graduated from high school or dropped out. Meeting students in the tutoring center also affirms that not everybody pays as close attention as I did when learning about essay writing. I guess that is why we have writing centers. Although I know it may be nearly impossible, I hope to transfer my enthusiasm for writing to the students I encounter. Maybe I can create the moment for them that I experienced in 7th-grade English class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home